Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Raised Bed Gardens

Had two raised bed gardens installed on 4/20 thanks to Austin Urban Gardens. They fully installed and filled my 2 (4x8x12in) with a Hill Country organic soil blend. I had already been reading up on Square Foot Gardening, and I immediately stocked up on transplant tomatoes and vegetables. I also planted some Mr. Stripey and Branywine tomatoes that started from seed in early March. Thanks to lots of advice and research I am using natural fertilizer worm castings and Seaweed fertilizer. These are my beautiful raised beds as they were three weeks ago:

Tomatoes: I am growing the following tomatoes: Patio, BeefMaster, Brandywine, Mr. Stripey, Sweet 100, Yellow Plum, Jubilee, Amelia, Old German, Caspian Pink, Boxcar Willy, Yellow Lemon Boy, Bush Early Girl, Cherokee Purple, Celebrity, Rutgers and Orange Oxheart.

Strawberries & Citrus: I ordered some bare root Festival strawberries from Burpee in early March. I planted those the week-end of Easter, and have 6 little stawberries on those baby plants! We've had a Meyer Lemon tree in a container for about 2 years. It didn't seem to be doing well and had never kept any of its fruit. Thus, we had Austin Urban Garden plant our Meyer Lemon tree in the ground. The tree was on the tail end of flowering and had some tiny little lemons. Thankfully, the four little lemons that were on the tree survived the transplant and are about the size of grapes now. The good news is that the tree is liking the new living arrangements so much that it is getting covered in a second set of flower buds!! The rest of the Fruits and Vegetables: Watermelon, Mexican Miniature Watermelon, Saffron Squash, Sweet Gourmet Squash, Green Zucchini, Clemson Spineless Okra, Muncher and Lemon Cucumbers, Radish, Golden Beet, Scallions, Corn, Onions, Sweet Mesclan Salad Mix, Sugar Pumpkins, Ichiban Eggplant, all colors of bell peppers, and Jalapeno Peppers.

I plan on keeping a detailed log on what grows well for me and tweaking the list next Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment