Thursday, May 14, 2009

Squash & Zucchini Babies

I started Saffron, Butternut, and Sweet Gourmet Squash from seed on 4/9. Most of the seeds germinated within five days! They were some of the first baby plants I added to the raised beds that were installed on the 20th of April. If I harvest some veggies this week-end, that means I went from seedling to vegetable in 5.5 weeks.

After realizing I was going to have more room in one of my raised beds, I bought a Patty Green Tint Squash and Green Zucchini transplant later in the month. Last week I noticed my first little zucchini and a couple of Saffron Squash. This Green Zucchini is about a week old and about 1.5 inches long:

These are pictures of my first Saffron Squash babies.


I found about 4 Butternut Squash this morning, but they are about 1/4 of an inch. It looks like the saffron and zucchini babies’ flowers will open tomorrow. I read that once they flower, they can grow in 3-5 days! I may have my first grilling vegetables by this week-end. I can’t wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment